Monday, September 27, 2010

More of my thoughts on education

Future of Education in Atascadero
With the massive cuts in education from the state and federal government that continue year after year, I have become concerned that instead of coming up with creative solutions to today’s world, the schools may start limiting the educational opportunities for my children. I have already seen it at the Junior high with the reduction in the number of electives.
My thoughts on how to improve our schools and combat the effects of reduced funding include the following:
1. Clearly state to the public that their help is needed.
2. Sell the quality and importance of the education received at our schools.
3. Improve parent involvement at all levels of the district from the classroom to the administration.
4. Seek community volunteers to fill in the gaps that are lost as our funds are cut.
We need to put the public back into public education. We can no longer afford to just let the “district” deal with the problems in our education system.
The administration needs to encourage a learning environment much like the one that exists at San Gabriel school. Parents are an integral part of the education system at San Gabriel. From parent helpers to PTA members to volunteers teaching enrichment classes. This model needs to be encouraged at all school sites including the High school and the Junior high.
I have five children who have been or are being educated by the Atascadero school system. My oldest just graduated from college and my youngest is in second grade. I can tell you the education system in Atascadero is outstanding. Music education is top notch. Core subject and AP level instruction is well done. I just don’t want to see this slip away due to budget cuts.
I feel that it is important for all parties that are vested in the education of my children need to be part of the solution to the current situation we face. That means that the contracts currently in place need to be reviewed in light of the current funding. That also should mean that each program and each project should be fully reviewed with one thing in mind, how does this impact the education of our youth?
Finally, I appreciate the efforts of the San Gabriel kindergarten teachers with the new pull out program they instituted this year. That was a excellent use of funds and resources and the results speak for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment