Monday, September 27, 2010

Education and why it matters

Education
I have been asked (with pretty short notice) to speak on education.
First from Wikipedia a quick definition:
Education in the largest sense is any act or experience that has a formative effect on the mind, character or physical ability of an individual. In its technical sense, education is the process by which society deliberately transmits its accumulated knowledge, skills and values from one generation to another.
Why would God make education or knowledge one of the few things we take with us when we die?
Our] religion … prompts [us] to search diligently after knowledge,” taught President Brigham Young (1801–77). “There is no other people in existence more eager to see, hear, learn and understand truth.”2 Our quest for truth should be as broad as our life’s activities and as deep as our circumstances permit.”
Education expands and sharpens our mind and spirit, while strengthening our soul. We can gain wisdom as we learn from the mistakes of the past. We were sent to earth to learn with a physical body. There are things that mortal existence teaches that can’t be learned without a body. God’s plan for us had to include a time of testing and learning where we could increase our knowledge through our own experience. God gave us scriptures and the Holy Ghost to help guide us past the pitfalls of life. As we work our way through mortality we need to pay attention and learn from our experience. We need to seek out the opportunities to learn and educate ourselves.
Joseph taught the Saints that knowledge was a necessary part of our mortal journey, for “a man is saved no faster than he [gains] knowledge,”8 and that “whatever principle of intelligence we attain … in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection.”9 During challenging times, it is even more important to learn. The Prophet Joseph taught, “Knowledge does away with darkness, [anxiety], and doubt; for these cannot exist where knowledge is.”10
Why is education so important temporally?
Education can help us gain work skills. My experience with education was wide and varied. I prepared myself to go to college in high school, I wanted to study architecture. In college I changed my major and studied engineering. As I prepared to enter the workforce I chose to work in the computer industry. I started as a programmer, then did tech support and now I design software. In high school, I really disliked English. I found it frustrating and very subjective. I really enjoyed math and science. Today, the skill I use the most is English and communication. I never would have envisioned that in school. You can never be sure of where life will take you or what skill is most valuable. A solid education will give you the skills you can draw on as you work to support your family. Attaining knowledge throughout your life will keep you sharp and flexible so you can better deal with life’s twists and turns. Education helps improve your income over time.
What has worked for our family
When Brenda and I were a young married couple, we decided how we wanted to raise our children. One of our primary goals was to educate and train our children so they would be able to leave our home and be independent and successful adults. My goal was to make sure my children were properly prepared as they entered school. Brenda was excellent at teaching reading and I took care of some of the math. We stressed the importance of education to our children. We paid attention to their scores in school and expected a lot. If we felt our child didn’t do their best on an assignment, we would encourage them to improve. We also accepted our responsibility for our children’s education. We made several good choices when our children were young. First, we disconnected the cable and don’t own satellite. This was a large sacrifice for me since I love watching football. Second, with limited TV we encouraged our children to read a lot. Third, when the prophet asked us to read the book of Mormon several years ago, we chose to read scriptures nightly for several years. I have found that reading the old testament is a really good way to help a child get beyond their fear of sounding out words. We value our children’s education and they know it. We support and volunteer at schools to improve the quality of education our children receive.
We also chose to support our children in music and sports. This ends up costing a lot of time and effort, but our children have good outlets for their energy and music really helps sharpen the mind. Sports helps strengthen the body and our children tend to learn skills like time management and perseverance. For our oldest, she was recruited to BYU and received scholarships for her athletics and scholarship. Having a child graduate from college makes it all seem worthwhile.
Today, we see large cuts in the local schools. Atascadero schools have had to deal with over 25% cut in funding in the last 3 years. I currently work on a school site council as chairperson. In my position we worked on how to keep our standards high in the face of all the budget cuts. This last year we started expanding the volunteerism at the school We asked for parents and community members to give some of their time to help improve the instruction of the students. I have been working for the last 3 years teaching 6th graders basic algebra so they can do better at math in Jr high and high school It is one of my joys in life to see a student’s eyes brighten as they get a new concept or learn something new. In the first year of the program, we had over 50 parents sign up to help improve instruction in the classroom.
From Doctrine and Covenants 88:77-80
And I give unto you a commandment that you shall ateach one another the bdoctrine of the kingdom. UAdd a Note
78Teach ye diligently and my agrace shall attend you, that you may be binstructed more perfectly in theory, in principle, in doctrine, in the law of the gospel, in all things that pertain unto the kingdom of God, that are expedient for you to understand; UAdd a Note
79Of things both in aheaven and in the earth, and under the earth; things which have been, things which are, things which must bshortly come to pass; things which are at home, things which are abroad; the wars and the perplexities of the cnations, and the judgments which are on the land; and a dknowledge also of countries and of kingdoms— UAdd a Note
80That ye may be prepared in all things when I shall send you again to amagnify the calling whereunto I have called you, and the bmission with which I have commissioned you. UAdd a Note

Finally, we have education in the church. Our young adults have one of the best gospel teaching of any youth in the world. After 10 years in primary and 4 years in seminary our children often know more about the nature of God than many adults. I know, my kids know way more than I knew at their age. Education can also help you make things happen. Greg learned so much in primary, seminary and our family home evenings he has been very successful on his mission and has no trouble teaching the gospel to the people in Rio.
“But I have commanded you to bring up your children in light and truth.” (D&C 93:38–40.)
From President Uctdorff:
In our learning, let us not neglect the fountain of revelation. The scriptures and the words of modern-day apostles and prophets are the sources of wisdom, divine knowledge, and personal revelation to help us find answers to all the challenges in life. Let us learn of Christ; let us seek out that knowledge which leads to peace, truth, and the sublime mysteries of eternity.
Brethren, you have a duty to learn as much as you can. Please encourage your families, your quorum members, everyone to learn and become better educated. If formal education is not available, do not allow that to prevent you from acquiring all the knowledge you can. Under such circumstances, the best books, in a sense, can become your “university”—a classroom that is always open and admits all who apply. Strive to increase your knowledge of all that is “virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy.”11 Seek knowledge “by study and also by faith.”12 Seek with a humble spirit and contrite heart.13 As you apply the spiritual dimension of faith to your study—even of temporal things—you can amplify your intellectual capacity, for “if your eye be single to [God’s] glory, your whole [body] shall be filled with light, … and [comprehend] all things
I appreciate the importance of education in our church. I am glad God has chosen to let us keep whatever knowledge and wisdom we gain in this life in the life to come. I appreciate his gifts and blessings and the Holy Ghost and his role to help inspire and guide through this life. I appreciate the education I received as a youth. Often, I felt some aspect or another was annoying or a waste of time, but I can honestly say the things I learned helped me in the life. I have been able to work hard and support my family. I know that without my education I would have had less opportunity to grow and increase my income. Education opens doors and gives you the chance to succeed. What you make of your life after that is your choice.
I know the gospel is true. I appreciate the savior and his love. I have felt his condescension touch my soul and I know that he lives and stands with me and my family. He gave me the gift that I can never repay. I know that I can repent and receive a remission of my sins through his atonement. I know that education can open minds and unlock futures. I know there is more truth in this church than any institution in the world today. We can learn more by listening to the prophets and reading the scriptures than any other source of knowledge in the world. I know we can become wise by following the commandments. I know that education changed my life and opened my doors to success. God loves each of you and wants you to reach your highest potential in this life. Education helps pave that road. You have a choice, go through life on that unpaved, broken down dirt road or seek out education and ride on that smooth paved road toward your future.
Education brings rich and inumerable blessings to our lives both in our mortal existence through our own growth and oppurtunity and in the world to come as we grow and extend into eternity. Education, knowledge and wisdom are the seedss that help us reach our eternal potential. God designed this plan to bless us and help us be as he is, that through our own experience we could learn and grow and attain eternal increase.
Written for a talk in church 9/19/2010.

1 comment:

  1. That was truly a wonderful talk. Great use of scriptures, modern day prophet quotes, and personal experiences. Thanks for making education an important part of my life.

    ReplyDelete